Saturday, July 31, 2010

Batch 6-002: Cream Soda Mead

Today I finally got around to brewing a new batch of mead. I was inspired after Nancy and I were at the local grocery store and she confided that she loves Frostie Blue Cream Soda which happened to be on the shelf. I thought, "Hey! I could make a mead like that!"

The real question is whether or not to add blue food coloring. I have never used anything like this in any of my meads. Does anyone out there have experience using food color in mead? I have heard of green dye used for St. Patrick's Day but I have never sampled any. In any event, here is the recipe:

6-002

Primary:

  • 15 lbs Clover Honey
  • Juice of 1 Lemon
  • 5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
  • 1 pkt K1V-1116
  • Water to 5 gal
  • OG: 1.120

Secondary:

  • Cream Soda Extract
  • 1 Vanilla Bean
  • Blue Food Coloring?


-Safari Bob

No comments: