Monday, January 7, 2008

New Batch: 4-001 Apfelwein

Today I brewed Apfelwein, although perhaps 'brewed' is a misnomer. This wine is so simple to make that I did not even have to heat anything. Here is what I did:

4-001
5 gallon 100% apple cider
2 lb corn sugar
1 packet Red Star Montrachet yeast
OG: 1.060 (potential ABV: 9.3%)

Step #1: Sterilize the carboy
Step #2: Add 1/2 gallon apple cider to carboy; add 1 lb corn sugar to 1/2 gallon of apple juice and shake well; add to carboy
Step #3: Repeat step #2
Step #4: Add all remaining apple cider to carboy; add yeast

It took less than 30 minutes - including clean up - and I should get almost 5 gallons of apfelwein for less than $20. Oh yeah..

After it is done I intend to carbonate by adding 3/4 cup corn sugar before I bottle. I have never successfully been able to carbonate this way with mead but it should work here. Now if Linden would only find me a bembel...

-Safari Bob

2 comments:

Joe said...

UncleBob,

I'm wondering what sorts of flavors you get from mead? I'm about to turn 21 in february, and I'd like to try it, and possibly homebrewing some myself eventually. I was hoping you might be able to inform me of what to expect? Thanks, sir.

Joe
(a.k.a. 4thmedbn on CPS)

Safari Bob said...

There are all kinds of flavors involved with mead. The best resource for reading about mead is http://www.gotmead.com/