Wednesday, October 6, 2010

6-005: Hard Apple Pumpkin Cider

Today I brewed another batch of hard cider but this time I added pumpkin. I am really enjoying the hard ciders here lately and they are easy to make. Ah fall! I do love this time of year even though I live in West Texas where fall usually doesn't appear until mid November--and then only for 1 week. Still, we do have a local apple orchard that also keeps bees. Mmm... local honey for mead... Anyway, here is the recipe:

6-005

  • 5 gal apple cider (mixed; no preservatives)

  • 15 oz (1 can) Libby's All Natural Pumpkin

  • 5 tsp yeast nutrient

  • 3 tsp pectin enzyme

  • 1 pkt EC-1118

  • OG: 1.050


Secondary

  • 4-6 cinnamon sticks (crushed)



Wassail!

-Safari Bob

1 comment:

Katie said...

So. I realize this was three years ago.
Any luck with this brew? I know of a few cideries that do a pumpkin-cider, but I could find but little online information about how to go about making it myself.
Some concerns: Does pumpkin ferment well without any enzymes from grain to help it along?
Was cinnamon enough in the way of spices?
Was it sweet? (I prefer a sweet cider....will I need to back sweeten it?)