Monday, October 10, 2011

Malted Pumpkin Pie Cider

Today, I made a new cider. The pumpkin cider (6-006) turned out well but I want more of a pumpkin pie flavor. I want something that is sweeter, creamier, and tastier than just a pumpkin cider. I am not sure how to accomplish this other than by adding malt. This is the first time I have played with malt so I hope I used it correctly. Also, I used pumpkin pie mix rather than just pumpkin to incorporate more spices and sweetness. Hopefully this will work.

Here is the recipe:


7-007

  • 4.5 gal Mott's Apple Juice
  • 64 oz water
  • 3 lbs Golden Light DME
  • 1 can (30 oz) Libby's Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix
  • 2 lbs C&H Dark Brown Sugar
  • 2 tbs pectin enzyme
  • 1 pkt Lavlin K1V-1116
  • OG: 1.082
  • Should make 5 gal in secondary

Wassail!

-Safari Bob

3 comments:

Jordan Cofer said...

I was inspired and made pumkin cider tonight. Hopefully, it turns out all right. I used your ingredients from this blog and your directions from (http://christianpipesmokers.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24070&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=homebrew&start=30)

The final total was 1.085

dsconfrno said...

I know you did this recipe a while ago, but I'm curious how did this turn out? I've been scouring the interwebs for a good pumpkin cider recipe.

I think you were headed in the right direction using the pumpkin pie mix because pumpkin pie tastes good due to the spices. In my opinion, pumpkin itself is rather bland and certainly doesn't add much in the way of fermentables.

dsconfrno said...
This comment has been removed by the author.