Friday, October 19, 2007

Mead I Have Known: Autumn Crisp

When I first began brewing mead I was all about the "Metheglin" or spiced mead. I still enjoy metheglins but it has been some time since I have brewed one. The other night, I cracked open a bottle of batch 1-002 and it sure has changed! When I first tasted 1-002, it had a crisp, sharp taste and so I dubbed it Autumn Crisp. Now, however, it is soft and round; this softness still presents the cinnamon but Autumn Crisp is no longer a good name for this drink. It should be called 'Autumn Delight' because oh my! It is good! Here is the recipe:

1-002
10 lb kansas wildflower honey
5 gal spring water
2 oz ground cinnamon
2 cup black tea
Rind of 1 orange
20 cloves
6 tsp yeast nutrient
Ale yeast
OG: 1.078; FG: 0.998; ABV: 11.2%

This recipe makes 6 gallons.

-Safari Bob

No comments: